5.06.2019

Littler Mermaiden Agenda with Mette

Hello! Mette Witus here today, and I have a fun shaker card to share with the adorable new Little Mermaiden Agenda stamps and dies.

I started the card by watercoloring a full background panel with blue-green and blue watercolors – I just added lots of water and dropped in pigment as needed. I let this air dry completely and then die cut it with the new Making Waves Cover die to make it a bit more interesting.
Before adding it to my cardbase I trimmed off the outer edges where the stitched detail is, so there’s a small white border around it when mounted on the cardbase.




For my shaker area, I cut the largest circle from Sew Fancy out of white cardstock, and then cut around it using a slightly bigger circle die. This gave me the added detail of the dotted circle inside my frame.
Using the big circle I cut two pieces of acetate, which will function as the windows of my shaker. For the front of my shaker I glued the white frame to one of the acetate pieces, and added thin strips of foam tape all the way around behind the white frame.


My next step was to cut out the gorgeous banner using the ribbon banner dies and stamp my sentiment from Birthday Messages. I cut the full banner from white cardstock and the layering pieces twice from white and once from grey cardstock.

Then I stamped the mermaiden holding the little fish in her arms as well as a whole bunch of little fish, colored them in and then die cut them with the matching dies.


As I always find my die cuts disappear in my shakers, as they get covered by too much glitter, or simply get stuck over each other, I also die cut 3 pieces of grey cardstock for each of my colored images. These will be used to create my own little “chipboard” pieces for my shaker by gluing them together.


Then all I had to do was find some blue glitter and I had all my pieces ready for assembly.


For my banner I glued the two main pieces together, having my sentiment on top of course. These then nicely layered over the main area of the banner. To give my banner a bit more depth by adding “shadows” in the folds, I glued the grey pieces in place. Having the difference in height is a nice little detail, which I think makes it so much more fun.

The last part that needed assembly before being added to the card was the shaker window. All I had to do here was add in my images first, then pour in my glitter, and finally my last acetate piece. Let the shaking begin!

If you want to avoid the mermaid shaking around and doing too many flips, add a thin string between two of her layers, and make sure they’re long enough to reach the edges of the shaker window. Then simply make sure the strings are adhered between the foam tape and the back acetate piece – give the string a little slack so she can move a bit.


Since my shaker piece is see-through, I added the banner to the window so it wraps around, this is easily done by cutting the tiny piece of cardstock that holds the right side of the banner end to the rest of the banner.

Then all I had left to do was glue the shaker piece to the card, being careful to keep the glue to the outer edges and behind the banner.

As you can see from the images below, she shakes around nicely inside the window, and the images are not being hidden too much by the glitter.


I think it’s such a nice detail that you can see the banner through the shaker – without the images and glitter getting stuck in the waves or banner.



6 comments: